Last month was our good friend, John's 35th birthday. John has quite an affinity for crustacean, especially shrimp. So when deciding what we could get him for the celebration, a crazy idea was born, influenced by his love of these yummy creatures.
We have a tin mold that once belonged to my husband's grandmother and used it as a base for our Shrimp "Cake". What follows is certainly a little gross. Trust me when I say that nobody wanted to eat it, but it was quite the crowd pleaser and in the end, the birthday boy really appreciated the effort we put into making it.
- 2 packages unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups Real Lemon Juice (photo by Randy Mayor)
- 1 lb. cooked + peeled shrimp
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Vodka
- Curly Parsley, for garnish
For Cocktail Sauce:
- 2/3 cup Ketchup
- 1/3 cup Gold's Horseradish
- COMBINE lemon juice and gelatin in small saucepan; stir and let stand 1 min. Cook on low heat 3 min. or until gelatin is completely dissolved, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup vodka. POUR into mold.
- CHILL inside fridge for about 2 hours. When slightly firm, add cooked shrimp into cavity of the mold. Place lemon slices on mold - these will float on top.
- REFRIGERATE at least 4 hours or until firm. Unmold onto serving plate.
- MIX ketchup and cocktail sauce and place into serving bowl.
- DECORATE plate with cocktail sauce, extra lemon slices and parsley