When it came to wedding day hair, I wanted small accessories with subtle sparkle. After researching my options, I decided I could make them on my own, and at a fraction of the cost! The end product was the perfect complement to my hair style and overall look!
- Hair pins and/or bobby pins
- Beads and pearls - 2-5 beads per hair pin
- Jewelry wire or (*fishing line) - 6-12 inches per hair pin
- Wire cutter (or scissors)
- Needle-nose pliers
- Assemble the beads and pearls in an arrangement you like, and string them onto the wire. I doubled up the wire, for extra strength.
- Wrap one end of the wire around the bobby pin 2-3 times, using the pliers, and tie an overhand knot.
- Arrange the beads against the pin. Pull the wire tight while arranging the beads into their correct position. This might take a few tries, before you're happy with the placement of the beads and pearls.
- Once you're satisfied with the position of the beads, secure the wire. Tie an overhand knot around the bobby pin. Then tie another.
- Repeat: Wrap the wire around the pin 2-3 times, and then tie 2 knots to secure. Be sure to tie the knots on what will be the back and/or under sides of the hair pin, because you don’t want it to cover your beads!
- Cut off excess wire with scissors or wire cutter.
- Try them on!
Tip #1: For a bigger impact, you could use the same steps above to make a hair comb or other hair piece. Experiment with different options - you can always cut the wire and rearrange the beads until you're happy with the end result.
Tip #2: If you can’t find the beads you are looking for, consider expanding your search to include beads on earrings and necklaces. You can usually (easily) disassemble the earrings and necklaces with the wire cutter and pliers!